Resources to apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Prior to owning your own trucking business, you are required to apply for and obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN).

What is an EIN?

An EIN is how the IRS identifies your business for tax reporting purposes.

Not sure how to apply for an EIN?

Here are a few resources to help get you started on applying for an EIN.

  1. You can apply for and obtain an EIN for free through the IRS. Follow this link to be directed to the IRS' website. The "Apply Online Now" button can be found under "Step 3."

  2. Most owner-operators who lease their truck from SFI, select ‘Sole Proprietor’ when applying for an EIN. If you already have a Partnership, Corporation or LLC, then you may have an EIN already.

    If you don’t have a business formation yet and select one other than ‘Sole Proprietor,’ you must form that type of organization and provide SFI with the Articles of Organization as a file with your state.

  3. If you are a ‘trade name/doing business as’ (DBA), you can select this option during ‘Step 4 – Details’ of your application process through the IRS. A DBA is not the same as a formal business organization.

  4. If you need assistance or have questions when applying for an EIN, there is a ‘Help’ button on the IRS’ website. Otherwise, if you have questions specifically about SFI, please call us at 800-521-5859.